What is the best way to combat hatred?

Many religious groups teach that the best way to combat hatred is through love and forgiveness.

Psychologists from Coping.org encourage people who are experiencing feelings of hatred to identify the cause or causes of their feelings and to identify how hatred is negatively affecting their lives.

The Web site encourages people to determine whether or not the hateful feelings were caused by real or imagined circumstances and to figure out whether their thought process was rational or not at the time they developed their feelings of hatred.

Learning to forgive and forget is essential in order to overcome hatred. It is also important to acknowledge that feelings of hatred can have serious emotional and physical impacts on us.

Continue Learning about Managing Negative Emotions

How does ventilating anger do more harm than good?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
It depends on how the anger is packaged as well.  Anger is a real feeling, but a complicated one to ...
How do I stop negative self talk?
Friedemann SchaubFriedemann Schaub
Get a little notebook that you will carry with you at all times. In this book, you will write do...
Is It Ever Okay to Go to Sleep Angry?
Is It Ever Okay to Go to Sleep Angry?
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What can I do about my fear of driving over bridges?