How can I maintain healthy hair?

Here’s our three-step process for maintaining healthy hair:
  • Step 1: Shampoo -- Before getting into the shower, gently brush or fingercomb your hair to loosen up tangles and residue. When washing your hair, treat it delicately. Leave hair hanging down and gently massage in shampoo starting at the roots and working down. You don’t need a lot to clean your hair. Most shampoo just washes away the protective oils.
  • Step 2: Condition -- Conditioner creates shine and preserves hair’s health by giving it smoothness and protecting it against damage. For volume, condition only the middle and ends of your hair, where it’s most susceptible to damage. For shine, condition the entire strand. do it every time you use shampoo. If your hair is dry, try skipping the shampoo part some days and just apply conditioner and rinse thoroughly. Or just use water.
  • Step 3: Dry -- Don’t rub your hair with a towel or twist it tightly into a turban. Wet hair is delicate and breaks easily. Pat it gently and squeeze it with your towel or use a superabsorbent towel sold at salons. A wide-toothed comb is the best way to detangle and distribute styling products when hair is wet. And keep any dryers at low-heat settings. High hair-dryer heat (and that from curling irons) causes the water under the cuticles (the outermost layer of the hair) to form bubbles that stress and break the hair, leaving those dreaded split ends.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

Can hair disorders be cured?
There are many varieties of hair disorders, with some being curable while others are not. Some disor...
What information should I tell my doctor if I have dry hair?
If you are visiting your physician to discuss your dry hair, you should be prepared to provide infor...
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?