What foods or dietary factors may lower the body’s level of magnesium?

Emilia Klapp
A diet high in processed foods and low in fruits and vegetables can create a deficiency in this crucial mineral needed for heart health and energy metabolism. Here’s why:
  • Colas and drinks high in phosphates lower your absorption of magnesium.
  • Foods high in fat prevent magnesium form being absorbed in the intestines.
  • Foods high in salt cause magnesium to be eliminated from the body.
  • Alcohol causes you to eliminate about 50 mg of magnesium through the kidneys.
In addition, playing sports can deplete magnesium. Drink water with at least 100 mg per liter to replenish your body’s supply.

Continue Learning about Magnesium

How can magnesium help reduce stress?
Magnesium reduces an overactive stress-response system, and inadequate amounts can increase substanc...
What are the dietary sources of magnesium?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
The following foods are top sources of magnesium: Halibut Spinach Soybeans Black beans B...
How Long Should I Soak in an Epsom Salt Bath?
Get Your Greens for Better Blood Sugar
Get Your Greens for Better Blood Sugar