Will my lupus symptoms ever go away entirely?

Suhail Kumar, MD
Rheumatology

There is no cure for lupus, however goal is to achieve remission.  Because lupus is a chronic illness, symptoms will come and go; but in remission, symptoms should not be present.

Lupus is a disease characterized by periods when symptoms intensify (flares) and subside (remission). Sometimes symptoms will stop for periods of up to several years. Some women have observed a decline in flares after menopause. However, lupus is a chronic illness making it unlikely that symptoms will ever disappear entirely.

Continue Learning about Lupus Symptoms

What are the symptoms of lupus fog?
Symptoms of lupus fog can occur at any time in an individual that has been diagnosed with lupus, but...
Should I talk to my doctor about my lupus symptoms?
If you are consistently tired, have joint pain, fever, or rash, you should talk to your doctor. The ...
What are flare warning signs and ways to prevent them?
For someone with lupus, a flare (an increase in symptom intensity) may have several warning signs. T...
How common is lupus?
Suhail Kumar, MDSuhail Kumar, MD
Roughly 5 new cases in a 100,000 are diagnosed each year.  One in a 1000 Caucasians live with lupus ...