Can a genetic test of my lung cancer help with my treatment?

A new genetic test of small lung tumors can help identify highly aggressive lung cancer at a very early stage, according to a study released at the 49th Annual Meeting of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. This test can help physicians offer a personalized cancer prognosis to patients with lung cancer. Because of new lung cancer computed tomography (CT) screening guidelines, the number of small tumors found will likely increase, making a method to identify high-risk patients vitally important.

Early detection of lung tumors through low-dose CT screening, combined with a reliable test that can identify highly aggressive tumors that benefit from individualized treatments, will help decrease deaths from lung cancer -- the leading cancer killer of men and women in the United States, according to the American Cancer Society.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer Diagnosis & Screening

What types of tests are available to detect lung cancer?
Claudia I. Henschke, MDClaudia I. Henschke, MD
Tests available for lung cancer include: state-of-the-art imaging for non-invasive diagnostics, s...
Why is it difficult to detect lung cancer in its earliest stages?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
It’s difficult to detect lung cancer in its earliest stages because symptoms don’t appear until the ...
Who should be screened for lung cancer?
Dr. Neal Chuang, MDDr. Neal Chuang, MD
Screening for lung cancer is recommended for people aged 55 to 79 who have at least a 30 pack-year s...
If a non-smoking relative had lung cancer, should I be screened?
Dr. John A. Howington, MDDr. John A. Howington, MD
If you have never smoked, we don’t really have any evidence that you would benefit from lung cancer ...