What can I do to avoid anger with TBI?

Anger is a natural reaction to traumatic brain injury, but how you respond to the anger can vary. Some people with TBI use the anger in a positive manner, others ignore it, and still others let angry feelings consume their whole being.

In order to cope with the anger and irritability, it helps to understand these feelings better. Anger is an emotion that everyone is entitled to feel at times, but it can destroy your health if not expressed in a positive manner. If anger is consuming your entire day, realize that you need to find some avenues for changing this. If your anger gets out of control on a “bad” day, stop immediately and apologize to those around you. Write down on paper the situations or persons who create angry feelings in you. Try to avoid getting into these situations if you feel you might explode. Ask your doctor to recommend a professional who can give you some tools for coping with angry feelings that happen with traumatic brain injuries.

Continue Learning about Living With Traumatic Brain Injuries

When can I return to military duty after TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Depending on the severity of traumatic brain injury, your military doctor will advise you on treatme...
Why do I have to take medications with a TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Medications prescribed by a physician are carefully chosen to treat problems associated with traumat...
Should I limit my activities while I recover from a brain injury?
Pam HaysPam Hays
Your brain needs to rest after injury.  Rest includes getting the proper amount of sleep, refrain fr...
What resources are available for victims of traumatic brain injury?
Pam HaysPam Hays
There are many resources for traumatic brain injury (TBI) survivors, depending on the individual sur...