What causes swollen feet and ankles in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Swollen feet and ankles are common in multiple sclerosis (MS) and are caused by an accumulation of lymphatic fluid (lymphedema). They are considered to be a secondary symptom of the disease, because they most often develop due to a lack of mobility instead of arising as a direct result of demyelination.

Lymphatic fluid delivers nutrients and other substances to and from organs in the body. Normally, the contractions of active leg muscles move this fluid along in lymphatic channels, propelling it upward towards the body cavity. When the body becomes less mobile, as may happen with MS, the kneading action does not occur, the fluid leaks from the channels and accumulates by gravity in the ankles and feet.

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

Can a Healthy Diet Help You Manage MS?
Can a Healthy Diet Help You Manage MS?
For patients managing multiple sclerosis, adopting long-term, healthy lifestyle behaviors may help manage symptoms and improve quality of life. One of...
Should I tell my boss and co-workers about my multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
That really depends on your length of time with the company, your preexisting relationships, and the...
What can I do if I can't get specific answers from someone over the phone?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Getting information by breaking through bureaucratic logjams can be daunting. There often doesn’t se...
How is Stress Linked to Multiple Sclerosis?