Why is watchful waiting recommended for BPH?

Watchful waiting is recommended for men with mild symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prostate because the condition often does not get any worse and may even improve without active treatment. This strategy also is an appropriate course of action, if a man can live with or tolerate his symptoms. The only reason to seek treatment for BPH is if symptoms become troublesome.

Continue Learning about Living With An Enlarged Prostate

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have an enlarged prostate?
The need for follow-up surgery after an operation on an enlarged prostate depends on the kind of pro...
What are the dietary recommendations for someone with an enlarged prostate?
Carmen Patrick Mohan, MDCarmen Patrick Mohan, MD
The same dietary and activity recommendations generally used to promote good health apply to those w...
How do other illnesses affect an enlarged prostate?
Having an enlarged prostate does not affect your chances of getting prostate cancer. Although the tw...
How can a sitz bath help relieve BPH symptoms?
A sitz bath is a common form of hydrotherapy that may be used to relieve benign prostatic hyperp...