What can I eat to curb the side effects of cancer treatment?

Nutrition is very important when you are undergoing cancer treatment. The best thing to do is to eat a well-balanced diet. However, sometimes you may feel sick in your stomach (nauseated), making it hard to eat anything. In general, simple carbs are the best foods to eat because they get absorbed easily and are less likely to cause stomach upset. The problem is that these foods, although rich in calories, often are not very nutritious. However, even calories alone can be helpful in fighting cancer.

There isn’t a "one-plan-fits-all" diet to curb the side effects of treatment for cancer. There really isn’t a specific diet in the sense of “Hey, you need to eat this amount of fruits and vegetables” or “Avoid red meat versus fish" and things like that. The particular side effects you are having mandate what you should do to adjust your diet. Calorie intake is an important aspect of good health and a balanced diet.

It's very difficult to make significant dietary changes in the midst of everything else that is going on. It is a basic, “Hey, you need to eat well and balance your diet with everything that you know is supposed to be good for you.” Try to avoid the typical processed snacks and fast food kind of things that are not going to be overall good for you in the short term or in the long term.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Can Exercise Help Treat Cancer Symptoms?
If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, get ready for a new Rx . . . it may surprise you: Exercise. Building on data from around the world, the Clinica...
Is it better to get nutrients from food or supplements to fight cancer?
In general, it is always better to get your nutrients from a natural food source than supplement...
How should I monitor my exercise intensity if I have cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
If you have cancer, there are three main ways you can monitor your intensity level while you exe...
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?