What can I eat to curb the side effects of cancer treatment?

Nutrition is very important when you are undergoing cancer treatment. The best thing to do is to eat a well-balanced diet. However, sometimes you may feel sick in your stomach (nauseated), making it hard to eat anything. In general, simple carbs are the best foods to eat because they get absorbed easily and are less likely to cause stomach upset. The problem is that these foods, although rich in calories, often are not very nutritious. However, even calories alone can be helpful in fighting cancer.

There isn’t a "one-plan-fits-all" diet to curb the side effects of treatment for cancer. There really isn’t a specific diet in the sense of “Hey, you need to eat this amount of fruits and vegetables” or “Avoid red meat versus fish" and things like that. The particular side effects you are having mandate what you should do to adjust your diet. Calorie intake is an important aspect of good health and a balanced diet.

It's very difficult to make significant dietary changes in the midst of everything else that is going on. It is a basic, “Hey, you need to eat well and balance your diet with everything that you know is supposed to be good for you.” Try to avoid the typical processed snacks and fast food kind of things that are not going to be overall good for you in the short term or in the long term.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
What are my options for having children if I have cancer?
Good In BedGood In Bed
If you didn't take precautionary action for preserving your fertility before cancer treatment, y...
How should I tell my employer that I have cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If you decide to disclose your cancer diagnosis to your employer, write down what you want to say an...
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?