Can I take allergy medications during pregnancy and breast-feeding?

Whether you can take allergy medications during pregnancy and breast-feeding is between you and your healthcare provider and should be thoroughly discussed with him or her, preferably prior to getting pregnant. Generally, during the first trimester, when the fetal organs and tissues are being formed, healthcare providers worry about the potential effects of medications. However, after the first trimester, most medications that might be considered safe for a young child should be safe for you to take. Generally, this includes topical nasal steroids, such as budesonide (Rhinocort AQ) and some antihistamines, such as loratadine. In addition, decongestants like pseudoephedrine are generally considered safe during the second and third trimesters, but do not use decongestants in the first trimester. Careful use of decongestant nasal sprays should also be fine. Watch out, however, for traditional sedating antihistamines that can cause drowsiness in the fetus. And make sure you check with your healthcare provider before taking any over-the-counter medication during pregnancy. This advice also holds true during the breast-feeding period.

Continue Learning about Living With & Managing Allergies

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
How can I protect myself against allergens in my home?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Because allergens are so important in causing asthma, the single most effective measure asthmatics c...
How can I manage my allergies during allergy season?
Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MDDr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Like in many cases, your best defense is a great offense, so be proactive and work with an allergist...
What Can I Do About An Itchy Nose If I Have Allergies?