Does exercise have negative effects on someone with an eating disorder?

Depending on the severity of the eating disorder, controlled exercise (monitored by a healthcare professional) could be beneficial. Someone with minimal disordered eating issues could gain self-esteem and self-confidence from exercise in an uncontrolled environment. One of the biggest components of an eating disorder are addictive, unhealthy behaviors and someone with an eating disorder, when left to their own devices, would more than likely choose too much exercise. In disordered eating, the challenge for that person involved is not in the food and not in the addiction, but in the sense of control which can surface around food, sport and exercise. In a controlled setting it is important for professionals to focus on and understand how to promote proper nutritional practices, focus on fitness not body weight, be sensitive to weight issues and promote healthy management of weight.

Continue Learning about Living With An Eating Disorder

Where can I find an eating disorder support group?
Lindsay Johnson, NASM Elite TrainerLindsay Johnson, NASM Elite Trainer
The best way to find an eating disorder support group is by going on line. You can use the website h...
How do I manage my eating disorder on a daily basis?
In addition to maintaining the treatments that your doctors have prescribed, there are a number of t...
How much exercise is good for someone who has an eating disorder?
How much exercise is really dependent on the severity of the eating disorder. Controlled exercis...
How Do Eating Disorders Affect the Body?