What should I do if I am often disappointed by my partner who has ADD?

If you have a partner with attention deficit disorder, (ADD) and you feel disappointed on a day to day basis, it is a signal to examine your relationships. Please use your common sense and realize that major life issues such as abuse or infidelity don't fall into this category. By disappointment, I mean things like your partner not listening closely to you or getting you a gift that's far off target from your own tastes or being insensitive about an upset in your life. By examining your expectation, I don't mean throwing them out. Some of them will be essential standards for you to uphold, like the expectation that your partner demonstrate respect for you in an on-going way, but some of your expectations you might find to be unreasonable when you examine them. Only you can know what needs of your own are entirely essential to your well being. For example, one person may know in the core of her being that her partner must show a high capacity to be caring, to show sympathy for others. Other expectations may prevent you from being able to stay happy in any relationship.

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
Why is a healthy lifestyle particularly important for adults with ADHD?
Edward M. Hallowell, MDEdward M. Hallowell, MD
For adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, food choices can make a major differen...
Should I be concerned that my teen with ADHD is driving?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
When teens with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) start driving, they are at great...
Why Is a Healthy Lifestyle Particularly Important for Adults with ADHD?