How can adults with ADHD deal with frustrations of daily life?

Coping with ADHD can be as stressful and tiring as caring for a newborn, so don’t be afraid to talk about your feelings and problems. That’s what friends and families are for, right? Learning healthy ways to communicate and deal with stress can help you cope with ADHD like a pro. So, include your family and friends in your treatment. By getting a better understanding of what you’re going through, they’ll be as strong a support as the concrete foundation on your house.

Support groups are also fantastic resources for learning coping techniques. In the privacy of the group, you can talk openly about how you feel with others who face the same issues. It’s a great place to share ideas for coping and get the encouragement you need. To find a group near you, check with ADHD organizations. Many sponsor local support groups or can put you in touch with an online group.

Finally, don’t forget about your lifestyle. Exercise (10,000 steps a day. No excuses!), a healthy diet (avoid the five food felons and large plates), yoga, deep breathing, and other techniques can lower stress levels more.

Adults with ADHD who have trouble dealing with frustration may benefit from behavioral therapy, medical therapy or a combination of the two are appropriate treatment plans. The institution of medical therapy (i.e. stimulants) can often help those with ADHD deal with the frustrations of daily life by helping to give the patient an improved ability to focus. While stimulants aren't for everyone, the best approach would be individual or group counseling by a trained behavioral health specialist. Cognitive behavioral therapy is a scientifically proven, evidence based approach to helping adults with ADHD manage the day to day frustrations that a patient might encounter.
Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Life with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can be very difficult for many adults. Symptoms of ADHD can impact family relationships, friendships, job, and daily routines. To help you live a more fulfilling life, seek professional help for ADHD.

You may be advised to participate in multimodal treatment for ADHD. Multimodal treatment includes a variety of therapy options including education, behavior management, medications, and social support. Open communication with friends and family members about the diagnosis and treatment enables them to understand how ADHD impacts your life. Enlisting help from your significant other, friends, and family members can help you to simplify life and make it more manageable and less stressful.

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
Can exercise help me focus if I have attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
One of the best ways to increase your attention and focus if you have attention deficit disorder...
Why should I improve my attention to detail if I have adult ADD?
Adults with attention deficit disorder (ADD) can be terribly careless. Difficulty paying attention...
Why Is a Healthy Lifestyle Particularly Important for Adults with ADHD?