How does attention-deficit activity disorder affect a child as he grows up?

While it is a chronic condition that will present some challenge throughout life, a diagnosis of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) does not have to be a life sentence or detriment to future successes. It’s possible that the severity or frequency of the overactive and impulsive behaviors attributed to ADHD will lessen as your child grows. However, as a child becomes a teen and young adult, the need for medication usually continues. In addition, many children with ADHD become very successful, creative adults who are able to juggle multiple tasks with ease. Learning how to compensate for the disorder—by developing a system of organization, list-making, time management, and stress reduction that works for the individual—will help your child balance his or her internal lack of focus with the demands of the outside world.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
How should I share my insights with others if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
How do you honor your own keen perception and still connect with others sincerely if you have adul...
What are healthy ways to take risks if I am a teen with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Many teens with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) seek stimulation. Like them, you may...
How Can Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Affect My Marriage?