How can doctors tell if liver disease is improving?

Doctors can tell if liver disease is improving by performing certain tests. There are different kinds of liver disease, so there are different ways to monitor the progression or regression (improvement) of liver disease. For example, blood tests for transaminases are often used to monitor liver inflammation. If the numbers go down, that's a good sign. Also, blood tests of clotting function, such as the PT/INR, can be used to assess if the liver is producing proteins appropriately.

Continue Learning about Liver Disease Signs & Symptoms

How is liver disease diagnosed?
Liver disease can be diagnosed through blood tests and imaging. Blood tests look at levels of certai...
What is liver disease?
Liver disease is a general term that refers to any abnormal process (infection, poisoning or cancer,...
What is jaundice?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Jaundice is when the skin, or sometimes the whites of the eyes, take on a yellow hue. It can indicat...
Should I talk to my doctor about liver disease symptoms?
Visit your family doctor if you suspect that you have symptoms of liver disease. Before you visit, m...