What blood tests are done before liposuction surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Prior to your surgery, your doctor will ask you to have a complete blood count (CBC), which shows your hemoglobin and hematocrit. This is very important because the doctor must determine that you're not anemic prior to surgery, especially if a large liposuction procedure is planned. Again, being anemic could cause you to end up needing a blood transfusion. It is also nice to know your coagulation panel, PT, PTT. This tells the doctor whether or not you're going to clot normally. The ability of a patient to clot well reduces the postoperative bruising and bleeding.

Most of these preoperative blood tests and panels will be performed as part of your surgery. Tests prior to your operation give the entire medical staff a current benchmark of your health. This will ensure a safe operation with a reduced chance of complications. If you are not certain what a particular test is for or why it is needed, just ask your doctor.
The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...

Continue Learning about Lipoplasty

What is tumescent lipoplasty (liposuction)?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Tumescent liposuctioning is considered at this time the gold standard of body sculpting with liposuc...
How does lipoplasty affect the body?
Lipoplasty, or liposuction, is a cosmetic procedure that aims to smooth out the shape of your body. ...
How much does lipoplasty cost?
The cost of lipoplasty, which is more commonly known as liposuction, usually depends upon the body a...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering Liposuction?