Is a whitish patch in my mouth a sign of oral cancer?

White patches in the mouth are reactions to irritation and/or trauma. Most of these patches are completely benign and do not represent oral cancer. That said; some oral cancers do occur in conjunction with white patches. Your dentist is the one best qualified to evaluate a white patch and decide whether it warrant a biopsy to rule out oral cancer.

Dr. G.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

Is there a cure for mouth cancer?
Over the past decade, there has been significant progress in treating mouth cancer. Particularly...
What is cancer of the lip and oral cavity?
Cancer of the lip and oral cavity is a disease in which malignant (cancerous) cells form on the lips...
What is oral cancer?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Oral cancer can affect any area of the oral cavity including the lips, gum tissue, check lining, ton...
Should I talk to my doctor about oral cancer symptoms?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
Yes. Oral cancer can be life threatening. The earlier it is treated the better the prognosis. If ...