What is lead poisoning?

Over the years lead can accumulate in the body, causing lead poisoning. Seemingly insignificant amounts of lead in the body over time and cause illness. Lead poisoning can cause severe mental and physical impairment in children under 6 years of age. High levels of lead can kill.

In the United States, lead poisoning has decreased since the ban on lead in paint and most gasoline's. There are still high rates of lead poisoning, also known as plumbism on the East Coast.

Continue Learning about Lead Poisoning

Surprising Source of High Lead Levels
Surprising Source of High Lead Levels
Marauding Huns. Invading Visigoths. What really caused the fall of Rome? Some historians suggest it wasn’t outsiders, but lead poisoning. Lead was use...
4 Hidden Lead Sources Lurking in Your Home
The Flint, Michigan water crisis, in which thousands of people were exposed to lead through contaminated water and pipes, reminded us that lead can lu...
Where can I get more information about lead?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
National Lead Information Center Hotline: (English and Spanish) 1.800.424.LEAD (1.800.424.5323)EPA’s...
Could my dinnerware contain lead?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Pottery made in the United States is required to pass inspections that assure that it’s lead-free. P...