Can I have liposuction if I have a colostomy?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Liposuction can be performed on areas remote from a colostomy site. Needless to say, we do not want to enter the internal abdominal cavity for the use of liposuctioning which could lead to increased risk of peritonitis. In my practice, I would not perform liposuction on a patient with a colostomy. However it may be safe in remote areas away from the colostomy site in order to reduce risk of infection and peritonitis.

Continue Learning about Laser Liposuction

When should I call my doctor if I had liposuction?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Patients should contact their surgeon immediately after liposuction for signs of infection, bleeding...
What makes the laser fat removal procedure unique from existing procedures?
Lawrence S. Bass, MDLawrence S. Bass, MD
Laser fat removal is a non-invasive, customizable treatment that uses heat to shock the fat cells in...
What Are the Risks of Liposuction?
What Are the Risks of Liposuction?
What Are the Risks of Liposuction?
What Are the Risks of Liposuction?