Why may I need a band adjustment after gastric banding weight loss surgery?

Adjusting the size of the opening between the two parts of the stomach controls how much food passes from the upper to the lower part of the stomach. This opening (stoma) between the two parts of the stomach can easily be decreased or increased, by injecting or removing saline from the band. The band is connected by a tube to a reservoir placed beneath the skin during surgery. The surgeon or nurse practitioner can later control the amount of saline in the band by piercing the reservoir through the skin with a fine needle. The ability to adjust the band is a unique feature of gastric banding and is a normal part of follow-up.

Continue Learning about Lap Band Surgery (Adjustable Gastric Banding)

How can gastric banding surgery help me lose weight?
Curtis L. Peery, MDCurtis L. Peery, MD
Gastric banding surgery can help patients to lose weight when they are following dietary recommendat...
How effective is lap band surgery for weight loss?
Mark A. Salcone, DOMark A. Salcone, DO
Weight loss with lap band surgery has been quite inconsistent with only about one-third of people ac...
Do the Benefits of Weight-Loss Surgery Outweigh the Risks?
How Will My Eating Change If I Get Lap Band Surgery?