When should I go to the hospital to deliver a baby?

If you have a low-risk pregnancy, you should go to  the hospital once active labor has set in consistently. Always make sure you let your health care provider know what is going on.

You should go to the hospital to deliver a baby or to be evaluated when any of the following occurs:

• You feel strong, regular contractions.
  • You notice a gush of clear fluid from the vagina.
  • You experience significant vaginal bleeding.
  • You sense decreased fetal movement.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
What are the pros and cons of writing a birth plan?
Robert W. Chalmers, MDRobert W. Chalmers, MD
A birth plan is typically a document that the patient writes up with a list of what she expects ...
Can a doctor safely turn a breech baby?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
Yes, so-called "version" or turning a breech baby can be attempted in most cases. Specifics depend o...
What Common Mistakes Do Women Make During Childbirth?