Are opiates a good option for pain relief during labor?

Narcotics called opiates can also be given to relieve pain. There is some link between opiates and respiratory distress in newborns, but a delivery team in the hospital can take care of any issues. (It's why narcotics aren't recommended for home births.) They're not a great choice because they can make you - and even the baby - woozy, but their upside is that they generally help take the edge off the pain. They're generally used if it's too late for an epidural; also, narcotics can be given with doctor prescription, while an epidural needs an anesthesiologist.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
Will my bladder spontaneously empty while I'm in labor?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Emptying your bladder spontaneously during labor implies that mom has no control over her bladder. T...
How do rocking table movements prepare me for labor?
If you need assistance, stack pillows under your abdomen to support your during the exercise (it won...
What Happens to Hormones When a Women Delivers a Baby?