What is the prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) blood test?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
Prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) is found in all prostate cells. PSMA levels are higher in men with prostate cancer, but they also increase as men get older. The PSMA blood test has been found to be highly sensitive, but as a screening tool, the PSMA has not proved superior to the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test, which measures the level of a protein called prostate-specific antigen made by cells in the prostate. The PSMA test is currently used as part of an imaging scan (ProstaScint) to determine whether prostate cancer has spread to other areas of the body. It has also shown promise as a predictor of recurrent prostate cancer but has many limitations.

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

What do the doctors look for in the pleural fluid analysis?
Sometimes to determine the underlying cause of a pleural effusion, the doctor has to remove some of ...
What does my total protein level tell me?
These levels are used in the evaluation of nutritional status, liver synthetic functions, kidney syn...
How can saliva testing help diagnose disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
“There is a growing appreciation within the medical and dental professions of the concept of systems...
What are sensitivity and specificity?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
When describing clinical tests, doctors and researchers often use the terms sensitivity and specific...