What is a viral culture?

A viral culture is a laboratory test in which a sample of cells is taken from a part of the body, a lesion on the body or other source. The cells are put in a Petri dish in a laboratory and watched carefully to see if viral cells grow and if other cells change as a result of the impact of the virus.

Viral cultures may be used for diagnosing many different viral infections. For example, to diagnose genital herpes, a doctor may take a sample of cells from a genital lesion and examine them in the laboratory to determine if they contain the herpes virus. Viral cultures are also used before and during influenza season to determine the strain of flu virus infecting people, and to help in the development of a flu vaccine.

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

Can lung cancer be diagnosed with a blood test?
Blood counts and blood chemistry tests cannot be used alone to diagnose lung cancer. However, they c...
What does my total protein level tell me?
These levels are used in the evaluation of nutritional status, liver synthetic functions, kidney syn...
What is a fecal occult blood test?
Dr. Donald Petroski, MDDr. Donald Petroski, MD
The fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is a screening test for colon cancer that checks for tiny amounts...
How does a C-reactive protein (CRP) test work?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
For a C-reactive protein (CRP) test, your blood will be drawn and sent to a lab for analysis. The am...