What does my total protein level tell me?

These levels are used in the evaluation of nutritional status, liver synthetic functions, kidney syndromes, malabsorption, and cancers. Protein levels may be elevated due to dehydration, vomiting, and diarrhea. Total protein levels may be decreased in kidney syndromes, salt retention syndromes, severe burns, extensive bleeding, pregnancy, intestinal malabsorption, and severe protein starvation.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

What is a fecal occult blood test?
Dr. Donald Petroski, MDDr. Donald Petroski, MD
The fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is a screening test for colon cancer that checks for tiny amounts...
What do the doctors look for in the pleural fluid analysis?
Sometimes to determine the underlying cause of a pleural effusion, the doctor has to remove some of ...
Why do I have to fast before a cholesterol blood test?
In order to accurately and consistently measure a cholesterol panel, fasting is required before a bl...
What is the prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) blood test?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
Prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) is found in all prostate cells. PSMA levels are higher in ...