What is the point of getting a blood test?

People get blood tests to help their doctor know how healthy they are. Lots of people need to have a blood test at some point in their life. Lots of things travel in the blood, like glucose, medicines, and chemicals that the body needs. Blood tests can look at all these different things.

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

What is a fasting lipid profile test?
Dr. Dean G. Karalis, MDDr. Dean G. Karalis, MD
A lipid profile is a blood test that measures the different types of cholesterol in your blood. The ...
What is a fecal occult blood test?
Dr. Donald Petroski, MDDr. Donald Petroski, MD
The fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is a screening test for colon cancer that checks for tiny amounts...
How can I talk to my child about having blood work done?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Talk to your child about having blood work done by explaining that blood work is taking a sample of ...
What does Trans Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL) measure?
Trans Epidermal Water Loss is the measurement of how much water moves through and leaves the outer l...