Is a partial or total knee replacement better for me?

A partial knee replacement, rather than a total knee replacement, is better for you if you are a candidate for it. With the partial or unicompartmental  knee replacement, doctors don't violate any of the ligaments, so it feels much more natural, much more stable.

Obviously, not everybody is a candidate for a partial knee replacement. If you have arthritis on the outside or under your kneecap, then you wouldn't be a good candidate for a partial knee replacement. Doctors wouldn't just do a partial job; they'd want to get all your pain relieved. A total knee replacement is a great thing for an arthritic knee. The pain's gone, you can walk a lot better and generally function a lot better; but it feels just a little bit mechanical because it is a little bit mechanical. But if you're a candidate for a partial knee replacement, this is a very good way to go.

A partial knee replacement is an option for some patients with knee arthritis. In the United States, about one in ten people who can have a knee replacement is eligible for a partial knee replacement.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Have you had to cut back on activities of daily living because of knee pain? Have you found it more difficult to negotiate stairs, get out of your car...
What should I do before knee replacement surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
As instructed by your doctor, don't eat or drink anything after midnight the night before knee repla...
How can I prevent swelling after knee replacement surgery?
Some swelling at first is normal after knee replacement surgery. Ongoing swelling around your surger...
Is There a TIme Frame on How Long a Knee Replacement Should Last?