How are custom knee replacements made?

Carlos M. Alvarado, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
For custom knee replacements, a custom knee prosthesis is made. To produce a custom knee prosthesis, a computed tomography (CT) scan of the person's knee anatomy is sent to the manufacturer, where a 3D printer creates a metal implant of the knee designed with the person's exact measurements and shape. Instead of using knee implants off the shelf and chipping away at them to make them fit into people, surgeons receive custom knee implants from the manufacturer ready to fit into their specific person.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Dorothy spends her entireThe Wizard of Oz journey searching for a way home to Kansas, only to find the solution was as simple as clicking her ruby hee...
What should I buy before knee replacement surgery?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Stock up on supplies. To avoid having to run errands while you're recovering from knee replaceme...
What should I expect during knee replacement surgery?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Knee replacement surgery rehabilitation involves physical therapy before and after the joint replace...
How Satisfied Are Patients After Knee Replacement Surgery?