<p>The knee is one of the largest and most <a href="/health/functions-joints/what-is-anatomy-the-knee">complex</a> joints in the body. It's <a href="/health/bone-joint-injuries/how-do-knee-joints-work">susceptible</a> to damage from injury and overuse, and the wear and tear of <a href="/health/bones-joints-and-muscles/knee-joints-breakdown-aging">aging</a> makes it even more vulnerable. So if your knees hurt, join the club. Knee pain brings more people to the <a href="/health/knee-pain/why-hard-diagnose-knee-problems">doctor's office</a> than any other musculoskeletal problem.</p>Brace Yourself for Less Knee Pain
Can Cycling or Running Wear Out Your Knees?See the answer
What's your RealAge?Take the RealAge Test to find out your body's true age.
Knee Pain Q&As
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
What can I do to help with post arthroscopy knee pain?
<p>Ice, compression and elevation are three things that you can do to address your post-arthroscopy knee pain. Some of the pain you are experiencing may be due to the work that was done during the procedure and some of the pain comes from the swelling that is present in the joint after the procedure. </p><p>Don’t spend hours with your knee below your heart after arthroscopy. Spend time with your knee on the same plane, or above your hip. Follow the directions from your surgeon. You may be in a motion machine, or using a cooling device. Do not unwrap your knee until instructed by the physician. Follow their guidelines. </p><br />
- QWhat physical therapy is needed after knee surgery?
- QWhat are the causes of knee pain?
- QWhat causes pain in the front of the knee?
- QHow can I treat pain in the front of my knee?
- QWhat exercises can help relieve knee pain?
- QWhat will a doctor need to know to diagnose knee pain?
- QHow does obesity affect knee pain?
- QWhat is patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS)?
- QHow can I help prevent knee pain?
- QHow does knee pain occur?
- QWhy does my knee hurt when the weather changes?
- QWhat are different types of knee surgery?
- QHow is patellofemoral pain syndrome treated?
- QCan bad knees affect your back?
- QIs losing weight an alternative to knee surgery?
- QWhat things should I consider when my knee hurts?
- QWhat can I do for knee pain?
- QWhat can I do about my kneecap hurting when I run?
- QWill strengthening my quadriceps help decrease my knee pain?
- QBesides squats, are there other hip exercises to help my knee pain?
- QMy knee hurts when I squat, what can I do to help prevent this?
- QWhat can cause a sudden pain in my knee?
- QWhy does my knee hurt when I climb stairs?