When should I seek help if I think my child is depressed?

If you believe your child may be depressed it is important to seek help as soon as possible.

Signs of depression in children can differ from those in adults. Some of these signs are:
  • changes in sleep
  • changes in appetite
  • social withdrawal
  • irritability
  • anger
It is important to have your child evaluated by a trained medical professional if you think your child is depressed.
Michele Borba
So when do you get help? I always suggest parents use the “TOO Index:”
  • Whenever your child’s behavior becomes TOO different from his normal, typical behavior
  • Whenever your worries and his behavior lasts TOO long (especially every day for at least TWO weeks)
  • Whenever your child’s problems start to “spill over” into TOO many other areas (school, friends, activities, home)
  • Whenever your own instinct says something is not right ... my child’s behavior is “TOO” different and “TOO” much of a concern.
Why second guess something so critical? Get the help of a licensed mental health professional. The two words I hear most from parents that are just too sad: “If only…” Don’t wait! Depression is treatable.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Exercise in Class to Maximize Learning
Exercise in Class to Maximize Learning
Ryan Fitzpatrick played sports from a very young age, but before becoming a starting quarterback in the NFL (he’s the first QB to throw four touchdown...
What are the symptoms of growing pains?
Growing pains are typically characterized by the complaint of an aching or throbbing feeling, usuall...
Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year.
How Can I Protect My Children from Viruses?