When should I seek help if I think my child is depressed?

If you believe your child may be depressed it is important to seek help as soon as possible.

Signs of depression in children can differ from those in adults. Some of these signs are:
  • changes in sleep
  • changes in appetite
  • social withdrawal
  • irritability
  • anger
It is important to have your child evaluated by a trained medical professional if you think your child is depressed.
Michele Borba
So when do you get help? I always suggest parents use the “TOO Index:”
  • Whenever your child’s behavior becomes TOO different from his normal, typical behavior
  • Whenever your worries and his behavior lasts TOO long (especially every day for at least TWO weeks)
  • Whenever your child’s problems start to “spill over” into TOO many other areas (school, friends, activities, home)
  • Whenever your own instinct says something is not right ... my child’s behavior is “TOO” different and “TOO” much of a concern.
Why second guess something so critical? Get the help of a licensed mental health professional. The two words I hear most from parents that are just too sad: “If only…” Don’t wait! Depression is treatable.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Measles Vaccine Provides Big Benefits for Your Child
A study reveals that you get a lot more than you bargained for when you give your child a measles vaccine. Not only does the MMR (measles, mumps and r...
What are some signs that my child might have a sleep disorder?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Here some signs that your child may have a sleep disorder: Kids should not snore, stop breathing...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
How The Dirt Cure Can Help Kids’ Health
How The Dirt Cure Can Help Kids’ Health