What are some common complaints from schoolchildren?

The most common complaint seen in the doctor's office from school-aged children is from an upper respiratory tract infection, also known as a common cold. Mostly these infections are viral in nature, but some do develop into bacterial infections requiring antibiotics. Other common childhood complaints include ear infections, gastrointestinal complaints and headaches.
Some predictable complaints from schoolchildren might be the following:
  • The teacher is boring.
  • I get in trouble for not sitting still.
  • Nothing I learn has anything to do with the real world.
  • Classes are boring.
  • I'm more interested in other subjects.
  • I want to play with the computers more.
  • The worksheets are too much work.
  • I get in trouble when I talk to other kids.
  • I can't get help when I don't understand.
  • School days are too long.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

How to Reduce Effects of Third-hand Smoke and Child Concussions
Q: I know there’s second-hand smoke if you’re in a room with a smoker, but what is third-hand smoke? Is it a real thing? —Joy B., Atlanta, GA A: Yes,...
What is a pediatrician?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Babies’ healthcare needs are different from those of adults, so it’s important to choose a healthcar...
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
These common bugs and body issues should be on every parent's radar.
Do Children Grow out of Celiac Disease?
Do Children Grow out of Celiac Disease?