Does sepsis affect infants differently than adults?

For both infants and adults, sepsis is a systemic bacterial infection that overwhelms the immune system. Infants are particularly vulnerable because of their weak immune systems. However, elderly people and adults with compromised immune systems (such as people with AIDS) face a similar risk from sepsis. People of all ages have an increased risk of sepsis as a consequence of hospital visits.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Warning to Parents about Violence in PG-13 Movies
In The Lone Ranger an entire tribe of Native Americans is slaughtered and a bad guy makes a meal of an enemy’s heart -- PG-13. Isolated movie horror? ...
Why should I read with my child regularly?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Read regularly with your child. There’s no specific time that has greater benefits, but experts reco...
Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year.
How Do You Get the Message Out About Fitness, Sports and Nutrition?