How can lack of touch lead to babies’ failure to thrive?

A “touch-less” society can lead to failure to thrive and death with newborn babies.  The perils of a touch-less society became apparent in the early 1900s, when Dr. Luther Emmett Holt, known as one of America's first and finest pediatricians, decided that parents were spoiling their children by cuddling and holding them too much. Good parents took notice and immediately followed his order, beginning a trend of “hands-off” parenting. Within just a few years, doctors across the nation started to notice a dramatic increase in infant deaths—particularly in seemingly healthy babies. It soon became apparent that these infants experienced “failure to thrive,” simply because they were not getting enough human contact through touch. There are hosts of studies of babies in orphanages concluding that those infants who suffered from touch deprivation achieved only half of the height normal for their age.

In “touch” studies done on animals, monkey infants who were denied contact -- a "secure base" -- ceased to explore their environments. Research in animal behavior also reveals that when animals are deprived of touch, they become aggressive and violent.
Miracle Touch: A Complete Guide to Hands-On Therapies That Have the Amazing Ability to Heal

Discover the Healing Power of Human TouchCurious about the benefits of touch therapy? Interest in hands-on therapies has skyrocketed, and even conventional physicians now embrace these treatments as...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Don’t Drop the Ball on Kids’ Snacks
Don’t Drop the Ball on Kids’ Snacks
It’s the start of your nine-year-old’s youth baseball season…He’s at bat—a swing and a miss. The 2-2 pitch hits the dirt and it gets by the catcher. ...
How can I help my child to stop wetting the bed?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Following are things that can be done to help stop your child from wetting the bed. Have them dri...
Head Lice: 11 Myths Debunked
Head Lice: 11 Myths DebunkedHead Lice: 11 Myths DebunkedHead Lice: 11 Myths DebunkedHead Lice: 11 Myths Debunked
Find out what you can do to treat -- and prevent -- a lice infestation.
What Is a Good Way to Approach the Issue of Weight with my Children?