How much weight is safe for a student to carry in a backpack?

A safe amount of weight for a student to carry in a backpack is 10 to 15 percent of their body weight. Most 6th graders carry more than that in their backpacks.

It's not uncommon to see very young children trudging off to school loaded down with an overstuffed backpack. Unfortunately, this can cause back pain and joint problems. Children should not carry more than 10 to 20 percent of their body weight in a backpack. So, a 50-pound child should not carry more than 5 to 10 pounds. Having a properly fitting backpack and wearing it correctly (using both shoulder straps) is also important.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Some Stressed Kids do Better with Pets
Some Stressed Kids do Better with Pets
Do you have a kid who’s feeling down in the dumps? Give them some playtime with a furry friend. Taking your child to a dog poun...
How do I choose a backpack for my child?
Jonathan Y. Cho, MDJonathan Y. Cho, MD
The wrong straps on a backpack and a heavy load can cause harm to a child's neck and shoulders. In t...
Lice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School Problems
Lice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School Problems
These gross schoolhouse issues should be on every parent's radar.
What Are Common Symptoms of Enterovirus D68?