How much weight is safe for a student to carry in a backpack?

A safe amount of weight for a student to carry in a backpack is 10 to 15 percent of their body weight. Most 6th graders carry more than that in their backpacks.

It's not uncommon to see very young children trudging off to school loaded down with an overstuffed backpack. Unfortunately, this can cause back pain and joint problems. Children should not carry more than 10 to 20 percent of their body weight in a backpack. So, a 50-pound child should not carry more than 5 to 10 pounds. Having a properly fitting backpack and wearing it correctly (using both shoulder straps) is also important.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Exercise in Class to Maximize Learning
Exercise in Class to Maximize Learning
Ryan Fitzpatrick played sports from a very young age, but before becoming a starting quarterback in the NFL (he’s the first QB to throw four touchdown...
How can I protect my child from errors during surgery?
Before your child is wheeled away for surgery, ask the surgeon to mark the spot being operated on—es...
Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year.
How to Spot Dyslexia in Young Kids
How to Spot Dyslexia in Young Kids