How can I help my twins succeed in school?

Michele Borba
While you want to help each twin sibling develop their own unique individuality and have separate experiences, the parenting premise doesn't apply when it comes to school.
  • Know the research. All twin development research in the past years finds that "twins who are allowed to be together in preschool and as long as they want to be in the early elementary years seem to make a much better adjustment both academically and socially than those who are arbitrarily separated. Once the adjustment to school is accomplished, separation in later grades happens naturally and easily." Of course, decide what you think is best for your kids, but do know the research.
  • Watch for learning disabilities. Some research suggests that twins, especially twin boys, are more likely to suffer from learning disabilities. Fraternal twins have a forty percent chance of sharing learning disabilities while identical twins have been found to have a sixty-eight percent chance. Be alert, and consider having one or both assessed for learning disabilities if there are academic difficulties.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

How's Your Child's Self-Esteem?
How's Your Child's Self-Esteem?
What Impact Does the White House Garden Have on Schools and Communities?
If I Think My Child Has Enterovirus D68, What Should I Do?
How Can I Protect My Children from Viruses?