How much do kids know about managing money?

Michele Borba
Eighty percent of all college freshman admit to never having a conversation with their parents about managing their money. What’s more, almost one in four of these same teens say it’s just fine to blow as much as $500 without checking in with Mom and Pop.

The findings are hardly a proud parenting moment, but I also hope you are starting to get my drift. The truth is too many kids are flunking financial literacy and one big reason may be that we’ve failed to teach our children a few essential “money smart lessons.”

If you’re concerned about your kids’ future spending habits, then start your money talk now.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Omega-3s From Fatty Fish Can Help Boost Brain Power in Kids
A study from the University Pennsylvania shows that kids who eat fish are more likely to sleep better and have a higher IQ than kids who eat little or...
When should I call a doctor after my child has left the hospital?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Once you're home, your child should be starting to feel better. If he doesn't, or if you see new s...
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
These common bugs and body issues should be on every parent's radar.
What Is a Good Way to Approach the Issue of Weight with my Children?