How can I find a babysitter for my chronically ill child?

If you have a special-needs child, finding a good babysitter may seem totally impossible. But it’s important to find time to reconnect with your partner or just go out with friends and see a movie or have dinner. So try this:

• If possible, reach out to family first. They know your child (and vice versa) and are willing and able to deal with his special needs. If that doesn’t work, ask friends if they’ll trade babysitting time with you so that there’s no money involved and you can both pay back the favor.
  • Find out if there is a babysitting co‑op in your neighborhood, especially through schools, day care, church, or early intervention classes.
  • Check with your child’s school; there may be young teachers or aides who are looking to make a little extra money on the weekend. Or they may know of someone who is interested in babysitting and has experience dealing with chronically ill children.
  • Check the American Red Cross. It runs babysitting classes and may have a list of trained high school and college kids looking to earn extra money.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Can Children Use Fluoride Toothpaste?
Can Children Use Fluoride Toothpaste?
According to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it’s especially important for kids age three to six who use fluor...
How should I take my child's ear temperature?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The ear temperature is an easy and quick way to measure your child's temperature, no matter how ...
Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year.
When It's Time to Check Your Child's Blood Pressure