How is cyberbullying different from traditional bullying?

Cyberbullying, which is sometimes referred to as online social cruelty or electronic bullying, has been defined as an aggressive, intentional act carried out by a group or individual, using electronic forms of contact, repeatedly and over time against a victim who cannot easily defend him or herself. Traditional bullying involves actions such as hitting or punching (physical bullying), teasing or name-calling (verbal bullying), or intimidation through gestures or social exclusion.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, bullying is aggressive behavior that is intentional and involves an imbalance of power or strength. Usually, it is repeated over time. In recent years, technology has given children and youth a new means of bullying each other.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Don’t Miss the Boat on Your Child’s Behavior
J.P. Morgan attended the launch of the Titanic in 1911; he even had his own suite and promenade on board. But when it came time for the doomed ship to...
Exercise in Class to Maximize Learning
Exercise in Class to Maximize Learning
Ryan Fitzpatrick played sports from a very young age, but before becoming a starting quarterback in the NFL (he’s the first QB to throw four touchdown...
When should a young athlete see a sports medicine physician?
Daniel J. Gurley, MDDaniel J. Gurley, MD
It’s not uncommon for young athletes to experience stiffness and soreness. However, when a young pla...
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?