Where is the most accurate place to take my child's temperature?

The accuracy of a temperature depends on how the temp was taken:

• Temp taken in the tush: Accurate.
  • Temp taken in the mouth: Add ½ degree.
  • Temp taken under the arm: Add 1 degree.
  • Temp taken in the ear: Accurate, theoretically (depends on the thermometer used).
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...
Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
The most accurate place to take a child's temperature is in the rectum.  A rectal temperature reflects the body's core temperature.  An oral temperature is the second most accurate.  Other areas for measuring temperature such as the axillia, ear and forehead/skin are less accurate because they are obtained outside of body cavities.  It is also important to consider the age and condition of the child when choosing the place to measure body temperature.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Get Kids to Eat Their Veggies
Get Kids to Eat Their Veggies
If you’ve got a growing child check out this worrisome statistic: A third of North American children are overweight or obese by age nine. This is why ...
How can I get support when my child is hospitalized?
Plan ahead and reach out to family and friends. Take them up on their offers to help (if they didn’t...
Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year.
When It's Time to Check Your Child's Blood Pressure