Who will decide if I can get a kidney transplant?

Once testing is complete, your case for a kidney transplant will be presented at a selection committee meeting. The selection committee usually consists of nephrologists, surgeons, nurses, social workers, financial coordinators and pharmacists. The committee will then decide if you are a candidate for transplant based on the specific transplant center criteria and you will be notified.

People who may be helped by a kidney transplant undergo an extensive evaluation by the transplant team. Based on the evaluation results, the transplant team decides whether or not a transplant is appropriate as the best therapeutic option.

The decision to proceed with a kidney transplant represents a strong commitment to self-care and medical follow-up, so the ultimate decision rests with the patients. Only they can evaluate their quality of life and determine whether or not a kidney transplant is worth pursuing.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
How should I care for my transplanted kidney?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The best way to care for your transplanted kidney is to take care of your overall health. In additio...
What should I expect after a kidney-pancreas transplant?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Your care after a kidney-pancreas transplant is very similar to that of a kidney transplant alone. O...
How Can a Multiple-Person Kidney Swap Be Achieved?