How should I care for my transplanted kidney?

To care for your transplanted kidney, while you are in the hospital, the transplant team will prepare you for discharge by teaching you everything you need to know. You will learn:

• all about your medications
  • how to prevent infections
  • how to identify rejection
  • what you can or cannot eat
  • when you can return to daily activities
  • when you can exercise
  • when you can return to work

When you are discharged to go home, you will continue being seen by the transplant surgeon and by your own doctor. Blood work will be done once or twice a week and eventually taper to once every four to six months. Appointments for blood work and doctor visits will be set up for you by the transplant coordinator. It is very important to keep all appointments because, often, rejection or other complications can be identified and treated before they become a problem. 

The best way to care for your transplanted kidney is to take care of your overall health. In addition to the basics of eating well and getting exercise, keeping your appointments with your doctors is a must. Those follow up appointments are designed to look for any signs of failure and intervene to keep your kidney healthy.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
When Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) -- from the Showtime original series by the same name -- a married mother of two, was shagging her hospital’s pharmacol...
What are the risks of nephrectomy?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Possible complications of nephrectomy (surgical removal of a kidney) include: infection bleedi...
How can I decide if a kidney transplant is right for me?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To decide if a kidney transplant is right for you, discuss it with your nephrologist, or kidney doct...
Who Is Not a Candidate for a Kidney Transplant?