Can I smoke before a kidney transplant?

Before a kidney transplant it is important that you stop smoking, whether you will be receiving a living donor kidney or deceased donor kidney transplant. The operation may be cancelled if you have not stopped smoking prior to your surgery. Smoking cessation programs are available and your doctor can assist you in making the best choice for your situation.

If you have a living donor, he or she must stop smoking at least two weeks prior to surgery to prevent any potential complications (related to smoking) during surgery. The operation may be cancelled if the live donor has not stopped smoking prior to his or her surgery.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
When Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) -- from the Showtime original series by the same name -- a married mother of two, was shagging her hospital’s pharmacol...
How do I qualify for a kidney transplant?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The criteria to qualify for a kidney transplant is complex. If you suffer from chronic kidney diseas...
Who is a candidate for simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplant?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Adults who have kidney failure because of type 1 diabetes are possible candidates for a kidney-pancr...
How Can a Multiple-Person Kidney Swap Be Achieved?