What tools are used to remove a large kidney stone during surgery?

During PCNL to remove a large kidney stone, doctors can advance a larger camera directly into the kidney. Since the procedure provides direct access into the kidney, doctors can use larger instruments to remove larger stones. Most commonly used are an ultrasound  that can grind the stone up and suction it out, or a pneumatic device that operates like a jackhammer to shatter hard stones along with a variety of graspers to remove the pieces through the sheath in your back. The surgeon will usually have all these devices at his or her disposal and will use whatever works best for the type of stone.

This procedure is often done in the hospital with an overnight stay because it is invasive.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

What is PCNL for kidney stones?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
PCNL stands for percutaneous nephrolithotomy, a surgery that removes a stone directly from the kid...
How do I know if my ESWL for kidney stones was successful?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
Your doctor will order an abdominal xray or CT scan to check that the stone is gone, usually 2-4...
Why are kidney stones not removed when a stent is inserted into the kidney?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Stents are inserted to unblock a ureteral stone, often in the setting of emergency for infection or ...
How do I manage my kidney stones on a daily basis?
The recurrence of your kidney stones can be prevented with several daily choices. You should drink p...