What tools are used to remove a large kidney stone during surgery?

During PCNL to remove a large kidney stone, doctors can advance a larger camera directly into the kidney. Since the procedure provides direct access into the kidney, doctors can use larger instruments to remove larger stones. Most commonly used are an ultrasound  that can grind the stone up and suction it out, or a pneumatic device that operates like a jackhammer to shatter hard stones along with a variety of graspers to remove the pieces through the sheath in your back. The surgeon will usually have all these devices at his or her disposal and will use whatever works best for the type of stone.

This procedure is often done in the hospital with an overnight stay because it is invasive.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

What can I expect after my kidney stone is removed?
Jayram Krishnan, DOJayram Krishnan, DO
After a kidney stone is removed, your doctor will perform a series of tests that will help tailor yo...
Is lithotripsy necessary for a kidney stone?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
While lithotripsy is not mandatory for all kidney stones, the majority of them would benefit from it...
What is the best treatment for staghorn kidney stones?
Dr. Sangtae Park, MDDr. Sangtae Park, MD
Staghorn stones are large, branched stones occupying a large volume of the kidneys. The most effecti...
Why are kidney stones not removed when a stent is inserted into the kidney?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Stents are inserted to unblock a ureteral stone, often in the setting of emergency for infection or ...