What is an altruistic kidney donor?

Katrina Bramstedt, PhD
Health Education

In reality the motivation for ALL organ donations should be altruistic-- that is the principle. However, the term is often used to mean "living organ donation to a stranger". Another synonymous term is "Good Samaritan donation".

For more information on Good Samaritan donation, read my book, The Organ Donor Experience: Good Samaritans and the Meaning of Altruism.

It is possible for a healthy individual to donate anonymously to a transplant waiting list (non-directed altruistic donation) or to a specific person on the transplant waiting list (directed donation). Altruistic donation has the potential to begin a series of paired exchange transplants and help multiple patients.

Continue Learning about Kidney Donation

Can a person live with one kidney?
A person can live with one kidney. In fact, most transplanted kidneys come from people who donated o...
Is kidney donation right for me?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The decision to donate an organ must be right for the donor. Potential donors should know that they ...
How can I donate a kidney to someone who I know is in need?
Donation of a kidney is the most commonly performed type of living organ donation. Often, a family m...
Dr. Lloyd Ratner - About Kidney Donation