Which herbal supplements should I avoid if I have kidney disease?

You should avoid all herbal supplements if you have kidney disease. Herbal supplements that are especially risky for people with any stage of kidney disease, who are on dialysis or who have a kidney transplant include:
  • Astragalus
  • Barberry
  • Cat's claw
  • Apium graveolens
  • Creatine
  • Goldenrod
  • Horsetail
  • Huperzinea
  • Java tea leaf
  • Licorice root
  • Nettle, stinging nettle
  • Oregon grape root
  • Parsley root
  • Pennyroyal
  • Ruta graveolens
  • Uva ursi
  • Yohimbe

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d b...
Is chronic kidney disease a common version of kidney disease?
Jonathan Brown, MDJonathan Brown, MD
Chronic kidney disease is the current term used to describe any number of conditions that lead to a ...
What are some diet recommendations for chronic kidney disease (CKD)?
If you have chronic kidney disease it is important to limit how much salt (sodium) that you eat ever...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?