What is hydronephrosis?

Hydronephrosis refers to extra urinary fluid in the kidney. Not a separate disease, but a physical phenomenon that occurs with many diseases, its symptoms, treatment, and prognosis are those of the disease that has caused it.

Hydronephrosis can be caused by obstruction of the ureters or bladder outlet. It can also result from reflux (retrograde passage of urine from the bladder up the ureters to the renal pelvis.)

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d b...
Why is it important to control my blood pressure if I have PKD?
Anjay Rastogi, MDAnjay Rastogi, MD
It is important to control your blood pressure if you have polycystic kidney disease (PKD) to help a...
How does phosphorus affect people with chronic kidney disease (CKD)?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
When you have chronic kidney disease (CKD), your kidneys cannot remove phosphorus very well. (Normal...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood