What lifestyle changes should I make if I have kidney disease?

The lifestyle changes you should make may depend on the type of kidney disease that you have, but doctors usually suggest a change in your diet and frequent exercise. Protein, potassium, and sodium put stress on the kidneys, so suggested diets are usually low in these ingredients. You may also have to make dietary changes that will help treat complications of kidney disease, such as high cholesterol. If you are healthy enough to exercise, it can help you maintain your energy and manage stress. Especially for the sake of the quality of your life, do your best to keep up the everyday activities that make you happy and help you lead a fulfilling life.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d be sure ...
Which herbal supplements have phosphorus, which is bad for kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Phosphorus is a mineral that may need to be limited in the diet of people with kidney disease, espec...
How can a low-sodium diet help me if I have kidney disease?
Melissa Stinson, NPMelissa Stinson, NP
A change to a low-sodium diet can slow the progression of kidney disease by lowering blood pressure,...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood