What lifestyle changes should I make if I have kidney disease?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The lifestyle changes you should make may depend on the type of kidney disease that you have, but doctors usually suggest a change in your diet and frequent exercise. Protein, potassium, and sodium put stress on the kidneys, so suggested diets are usually low in these ingredients. You may also have to make dietary changes that will help treat complications of kidney disease, such as high cholesterol. If you are healthy enough to exercise, it can help you maintain your energy and manage stress. Especially for the sake of the quality of your life, do your best to keep up the everyday activities that make you happy and help you lead a fulfilling life.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

how safe are nsaids for people with kidney disease ?
NSAIDs, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, should generally be avoided by people with kidney d...
why would i need to take supplements if i have kidney disease ?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Your doctor will probably want you to take a variety of supplements if you have kidney disease. B...
how can a low-sodium diet help me if i have kidney disease ?
Controlling salt (or sodium) in the diet is very important for patients with chronic kidney disease....
what is the link between obesity and chronic kidney disease ?
Obesity can cause kidney disease both directly and indirectly; therefore, America's obesity epidemic...