What lifestyle changes should I make if I have kidney disease?

The lifestyle changes you should make may depend on the type of kidney disease that you have, but doctors usually suggest a change in your diet and frequent exercise. Protein, potassium, and sodium put stress on the kidneys, so suggested diets are usually low in these ingredients. You may also have to make dietary changes that will help treat complications of kidney disease, such as high cholesterol. If you are healthy enough to exercise, it can help you maintain your energy and manage stress. Especially for the sake of the quality of your life, do your best to keep up the everyday activities that make you happy and help you lead a fulfilling life.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
How is bleeding in polycystic kidney disease (PKD) treated?
Anjay Rastogi, MDAnjay Rastogi, MD
In people with polycystic kidney disease (PKD) who experience bleeding, very conservative management...
What is hydronephrosis?
Grace Hyun, MDGrace Hyun, MD
Hydronephrosis refers to extra urinary fluid in the kidney. Not a separate disease, but a physic...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood