What increases my risk for kidney disease?

In addition to diabetes and high blood pressure, other conditions that increase the risk of kidney disease include heart disease, obesity, older age, high cholesterol and a family history of chronic kidney disease. A physical injury can also cause kidney disease.

More than 35% of adults with diabetes have chronic kidney disease. High blood sugar (blood glucose) and high blood pressure increase the risk that chronic kidney disease will eventually lead to kidney failure. If you have diabetes, controlling blood sugar and blood pressure reduces the risk of developing kidney disease or may slow its progression.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Be aware of certain warning signs of kidney disease. 

1. High blood pressure.
  2. Blood and/or protein in the urine.
  3. A glomerular filtration rate of less than 60 (lab value in doctor's office)
  4. High levels of creatinine and Blood Urea Nitrogen (lab value in doctor's office)
  5. Increase in urination (urination may be painful or difficult)
  6. Puffiness around eyes, swelling of hands and feet.

Your risk for kidney disease can be increased by a number of factors and may vary depending on which specific disease you look at. Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, family history of kidney disease, habitual use of some over-the-counter medications, and physical trauma to the kidney increase your risk for kidney disease. Age is a risk factor, because adults are significantly more likely to develop the disease than children.

In children, the risk of hereditary or congenital (developed in the womb) kidney disease is almost double for boys. People of color are more likely to develop kidney failure because they are more prone to diseases that damage the filtering nephrons in the kidneys. You should talk to your doctor to assess your risk for kidney disease.

There are certain risk factors that increase your likelihood of developing kidney disease, including:
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure)
  • Family history of kidney disease
  • Age 60 or older
  • Hispanic, African-American, Native American or Pacific Islander ancestry
Diabetes mellitus and high blood pressure are the two leading risk factors for kidney disease. If left uncontrolled, these conditions can damage blood vessels in your kidneys and cause protein leakage into the urine.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have kidney disease?
The lifestyle changes you should make may depend on the type of kidney disease that you have, but do...
Can herbal supplements interfere with the drugs I take for kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Many herbal supplements can interfere with prescription drugs, including drugs you take for kidney d...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood