What is the urinary tract?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

The urinary tract is the passageway through which bodily waste products are filtered and through which urine is produced, stored, and excreted. The upper urinary tract consists of the kidneys and the ureters that are attached to them. The bladder and the urethra are in the lower urinary tract.

We remain continent when the organs (kidneys, bladder, brain), tubes (ureters and the urethra), and muscles (sphincter muscles and the pelvic floor muscles), as well as the spinal cord, that comprise and control the urinary tract function properly. Continence is achieved when the entire urinary system works like a well-tuned motor: when there is normal lower urinary tract support and normal functioning of the sphincter muscles.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...
The main function of the urinary tract is to remove wastes and fluid from the body. The urinary tract has four parts: the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Urine is formed when the kidneys filter blood and remove excess waste materials and fluid. The urine collects into a part of the kidney called the renal pelvis. From the renal pelvis, the urine travels down a narrow tube called the ureter into the bladder. The bladder slowly fills up with urine, which empties from the body through another small tube called the urethra.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

3 Embarrassing Bladder Problems and How to Plug the Leaks
At times, your bladder may not to do what it’s supposed to do (hold onto urine until you’re ready to relieve yourself), leading to anxiety-ridden acci...
How can kidney problems caused by diabetes affect my daily life?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Insulin and certain medications used by people with diabetes are cleared by the kidneys. If you have...
What can I do to prevent kidney damage from diabetes from getting worse?
If you have diabetes, it may be possible to prevent or delay the progression of kidney disease. It i...
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?