Is it harmful to hold in my urine if my bladder is full?

It is definitely harmful to hold in urine if your bladder is full, because you can stretch out your bladder muscles; you are also at greater risk for urinary tract infections. Watch urologist Harry Fisch, MD, explain why you shouldn't hold in urine.
If you hold your urine every once in a while, you’re not going to hurt yourself, but if you're constantly holding it in and you're overstretching the bladder, you may actually hurt your overall bladder function. And, if your bladder is overly full, you may cause kidney damage because there's no room for the urine to go, causing it to back up into your kidney.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

Kidney Disease and Urology

Kidney Disease and Urology

The kidneys are amazing organs. One of the kidney’s major functions is to filter and remove waste products and excess fluids from your body. Each and every day, your kidneys filter over 200 quarts of fluid to produce about 2 quart...

s of urine that is stored in the bladder, and ultimately removed through a process called urination. Your kidneys also play an important role in removing drugs, regulating blood pressure, controlling the production of red bloods cells and helping promote strong, healthy bones by producing an active form of vitamin D.