Is it harmful to hold in my urine if my bladder is full?

If you hold your urine every once in a while, you’re not going to hurt yourself, but if you're constantly holding it in and you're overstretching the bladder, you may actually hurt your overall bladder function. And, if your bladder is overly full, you may cause kidney damage because there's no room for the urine to go, causing it to back up into your kidney.

It is definitely harmful to hold in urine if your bladder is full, because you can stretch out your bladder muscles; you are also at greater risk for urinary tract infections. Watch urologist Harry Fisch, MD, explain why you shouldn't hold in urine.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

What It’s Like to Pass a Kidney Stone
What It’s Like to Pass a Kidney Stone
You hear people say all the time that passing a kidney stone is one of the most painful things they've ever experienced—and in some cases, worse than ...
What can cause urinary problems in men besides an enlarged prostate?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
Urethritis is an inflammation of the urethra (the tube that runs from the bladder through the penis)...
How is urethritis treated?
Kyle K. Himsl, MDKyle K. Himsl, MD
Depending on the cause, urethritis may be treated with antibiotics or pain medications. Watch this v...
What Nighttime Bathroom Trips May Mean
What Nighttime Bathroom Trips May Mean